Please be aware that this resource is informational only, and many external factors, unique to your company might apply.
Each company must make their own decisions about how they meet their tax obligations.

Allowances for Additional Meal Expenses

Compensation given to employees by employers for professional expenses they have incurred in purchasing a meal is free from any tax rates so long as it meets one of the two criteria in the table below.

Meal Allowance
Employee forced to eat at the workplace € 6.80
Employee traveling outside the company’s premises and cannot to their residence or place of work to eat € 9.50

10% Flat-Rate Deduction

In France, employees can opt for a 10% flat-rate deduction to apply to the professional expenses they have incurred (such as commuting costs and meals while working away from home). It is important to note that when an employee chooses to benefit from this deduction, they are not able to receive a deduction of actual professional expenses incurred, meaning they must choose one or the other. This flat-rate deduction automatically applied to the employee’s most common expenses, simplifying the process of receiving compensation. Employees who use the flat-rate deduction will have their reimbursed business expenses added to their salary.

Flat-Rate Deduction
Minimum Amount € 448
Maximum Amount € 12,829

Working From Home

When an employee incurs costs while working from home, they are entitled to a tax-free allowance which varies depending on how many days they work from home a week. For example, an employee working remotely once a week is entitled to € 10 per month, but if they worked remotely twice a week the allowance increases to € 20. If the sum paid exceeds this limit, it may still be exempt from tax, provided that the professional expenses incurred by the employee can be justified.

Employers are generally responsible for the costs of supplying, installing, and maintaining the equipment necessary for employees who work from home regularly, however, employees may instead opt to use their equipment.

If the employee works from home regularly, the employer must cover the costs they incurred due to their work (especially those related to communications). The employer must also provide the employee with a technical support service, and is responsible for expenses stemming from loss/damage of equipment and data.

Fixed Costs

For fixed costs such as rent, housing tax, land tax, regional/departmental/municipal tax, condominium fees, or multi-risk home insurance, the share of all the costs incurred is multiplied by the surface area of the home dedicated to working divided by the total surface area of the home. For example, if the total costs incurred amounts to €420, and the employee uses 10m² of his 70m² home for work, the calculation is 420 x 10 / 70 = €60. So €60 is the amount the employer can reimburse the employee tax-free.

Variable Costs

For variable costs such as heating, air conditioning, or electricity, the share of the actual costs incurred is multiplied by the surface area of the part of the home used for working (for this calculation the total surface area of the home is not used).

Other Costs

  • Consumables such as printer ink and reams of paper can be reimbursed tax-free on proof of expenses incurred;
  • Telephone and internet costs can be reimbursed tax-free with proof of expenses incurred;
  • An employee acquiring furniture on behalf of the company to be used and kept by themselves can be reimbursed up to 50% if supporting documents can be given;
  • Costs relating to adapting or modifying the working area (for example, installing electrical sockets) can be reimbursed tax-free with proof of an invoice;
  • An employee purchasing computer equipment and peripherals (such as a printer) on behalf of the company to be used and kept by themselves can be reimbursed up to 50% if supporting documents can be given.

Last changed